Object alignment, was: cygwin failures - assertion "!(addr & FLAGS)" failed:

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon May 6 14:30:00 GMT 2002

Randall> Is stack-based object allocation really feasible for Java
Randall> outside of some very narrow special cases (i.e., when the
Randall> reference to the instance can be proved never to propagate
Randall> outside the method in which it's created)?

Only if you do whole program analysis.  See the IBM Jalapeno paper on
escape analysis for the details.  I suppose it is possible that the
special cases are still interesting.

I doubt gcj will have stack allocation any time soon.  As far as I
know nobody is working on it.  And my guess is there are easier ways
to get performance boosts, for instance type-based optimization on the
trees.