Object alignment, was: cygwin failures - assertion "!(addr & FLAGS)" failed:

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Sun May 5 21:40:00 GMT 2002

Tim> The binutils alignment parameter in coff-i386.c is set to 4-byte
Tim> alignment.  4-byte alignment also is the default for gcc -Os, at
Tim> least from gcc-3.1.  Cases have been produced where gcc-3.1
Tim> failed to give 16-byte alignment even with -O2, unless
Tim> -mpreferred-stack-boundary=4 was specified.

Are you talking about only the alignment of the stack?  I don't think
that should matter to libgcj.  There used to be one place where we
stack-allocated an object, but I believe that now there aren't any.
All that matters to us is the alignment of statically allocated
object, and objects created by the GC.