rhug failure on alpha

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Mar 18 08:52:00 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com> writes:

Jeff> I'd guess this doesn't happen on x86?  What revision of alpha
Jeff> (output of config.guess)?

alphaev67-unknown-linux-gnu
It doesn't happen on x86.

Jeff> Early alphas didn't have byte load/store instructions, so
Jeff> perhaps a BIT_FIELD_REF is generated somewhere to mask out the
Jeff> needed bits.  I don't know why this would appear up at the tree
Jeff> level though.  It sure doesn't have any relevance to bytecode.

I'm guessing it is introduced somewhere in fold-const or something
like that, as an optimization of some kind.  At least, that's
possible.  There could be other explanations.