Dealing with case insensitivity

Jukka Santala jsantala@tml.hut.fi
Fri Mar 15 01:17:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Jim Peters wrote:
> Maybe this extra rule for Windows isn't really necessary, but it is
> the only extra 'gotcha' I can think of.

Unfortunately, at least Windows filesystem is also incapable of storing
filenames with only case-differences. This problem may not be encountered
in common uses, but on the few occasions that it does bite, it bites hard.
Maybe I don't fully understand the problem, but this limitation suggests
to me that on such platforms the file-case should just simply be ignored.
If the case doesn't match, you have worse problems than simply locating
the right file.

 -Jukka Santala