classpath/bootclasspath question

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 15:14:00 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Bryce" == Bryce McKinlay <bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz> writes:

Bryce> libjava needs to make sure that only its own classes are used
Bryce> during compilation - any other classes including any existing
Bryce> libgcj.jar must be ignored. What is the correct compiler option
Bryce> to say "use only this classpath and nothing else"? I thought
Bryce> -bootclasspath would do this, but now that I look at the manual
Bryce> this is apparantly not the case.

My reading of the manual is that you would have to specify both
-classpath (to override the environment variable) and -bootclasspath
(to override the built-in libgcj.jar).

This certainly seems weird.  But I think JDK compatibility is more
important than having the "best" interface (bleah).  Is this what the
JDK requires?  Or are we subtly divergent?  (I haven't looked.)