parse.c build failure from gcc-head on Alpha.

George France france@handhelds.org
Thu Mar 7 13:46:00 GMT 2002

Hello Alexandre,

On Thursday 07 March 2002 16:22, Alexandre Petit-Bianco wrote:
> George France writes:
> > Is this a problem in parse.y that is creating something in parse.c
> > that gcc-2.95.3 can not digest or a problem in gcc-2.95.3 on alpha??
>
> No matter how wrong the input is, the compiler shouldn't loop
> forever.

I agree.

>It's a problem with gcc-2.95.3 (possibly only on alpha?)

gcc-2.95.3 on my i686 sytems builds java from the same source without
problems.

> > Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> It looks like you can use different (and sometimes newer) compilers.
> But you can try to run what causes the infinite loop (most likely
> cc1?) running gcc -v -c ... and then run the guilty invokation through
> gdb and interrupt the execution when you're entering the infinite
> loop. Then you'll see where (and maybe why) the problem is happening...

Thank you for your help.  I will give your suggestion a try and send the
results to the gcc mailing list.

Best Regards,

--George