using JCSI

Yogesh Chauhan ychauhan@cse.iitk.ac.in
Tue Jun 18 02:08:00 GMT 2002

Dear All,

I have problems with using the JCSI for sending signed/encrypted mails. I tried using an applet which just sends a signed mail to myself and displays the message "message sent" on the applet. I'm obtaining the necessary jar files from the web server using the following html code as generated by the HTML converter :

/*****************************************************/

<!--"CONVERTED_APPLET"-->
<!-- CONVERTER VERSION 1.3 -->
<OBJECT classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"
WIDTH = "100" HEIGHT = "100" NAME = "sender"  codebase="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3/jinstall-13-win32.cab#Version=1,3,0,0">
<PARAM NAME = CODE VALUE = "SenderApplet.class" >
<PARAM NAME = ARCHIVE VALUE = "activation.jar,mail.jar,jcsi_base.jar,jcsi_jce.jar,jcsi_license.jar,jcsi_provider.jar,jcsi_smime.jar,imap.jar,mailapi.jar,pop3.jar,smtp.jar,composemail.jar" >
<PARAM NAME = NAME VALUE = "sender" >
<PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.3">
<PARAM NAME="scriptable" VALUE="false">
</OBJECT>
<!--
<APPLET CODE = "SenderApplet.class" ARCHIVE = "activation.jar,mail.jar" WIDTH = "100" HEIGHT = "100" NAME = "sender">
</APPLET>
-->
<!--"END_CONVERTED_APPLET"-->

I've java plugin 1.4 installed for the IE, and the above html file gives a nullpointerexception while getting the com.dstc.security.common file. If I change the archive tag value to contain only "activation.jar, mail.jar" and send a normal (unsigned and unencrypted) mail, the mail is received without any problems. Also, if I do put all the above jar files but dont use the jcsi toolkit, the exception does come, but still I do receive the mail! Why cant I send a signed or encrypted mail? Is it to do something with the licensing? Any suggestions??

Regards,
Yogesh.