Current gcj on powerpc

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Wed Jul 31 14:57:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 00:41, Jeff Sturm wrote:
> On 30 Jul 2002, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > How did it go? I believe that I have narrowed it down to one day now.
> > cvs update -D"2002-07-15" seems to give a working program, but with
> > cvs update -D"2002-07-16" I get the abort() when processing exceptions.
>
> That's around the time the new register allocator was merged in.  It may
> not be responsible for the EH failures, but it was a big patch.

I was sure that it would be that big patch. But it seems that it was a
patch of my own "FYI: Resync gnu.java.security with Classpath"
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2002-q3/msg00031.html>.

Embarrassing... But I did test the patch on a x86 machine and it really
looked innocent.  I have no idea why that would cause a simple program
like the following to fail:

public class Test
{
  public static void main(String[] args)
  {
    try
      {
        throw new Throwable("Catch This!");
      }
    catch (Throwable t)
      {
        System.out.println(t);
      }
  }
}

But it seems that it does on powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu. Can anybody spot
anything in that patch that could cause the whole exception mechanism to
fail (in exception.cc:110)?
(And only with shared libraries, compiling with -static works ok.)

I am going to double check this by doing a complete clean compile of the
HEAD with only this patch reversed tonight. If that produces a gcj that
works correctly on the above program I will reverse the patch and figure
out later what particular part of the patch caused it.

Good night,

Mark