change of libgcj soname for gcc-3.2?

Bryce McKinlay bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz
Mon Jul 29 18:11:00 GMT 2002

Matthias Klose wrote:

>Now that libgcj has to use the new g++ ABI, should the shared object
>name of the libgcj library be changed from 3 to 4?

In general we should change the soname for each major release because
simple evolution of classes  breaks binary compatibility with the
current ABI. In this case we havn't made any changes (in libgcj) which
would break binary compatibility, and I'm not sure if the C++ ABI
changes between 3.1 and 3.2 will affect us. If binary compatibility has
been broken, then the soname should be incremented. If not, it should
remain the same.

regards

Bryce.