GNU Crypto

Raif S. Naffah raif@fl.net.au
Mon Jul 22 02:21:00 GMT 2002

Adam Megacz wrote:
> Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:
>
>>Eventually there will be a GNU Java JCA/JCE implementation using
>>these. By that time we will probably be delivering a comprehensive
>>GNU java platform.
>

> Hrm, is there a reason why the GNU Crypto project hasn't simply
> adopted the Bouncy Castle libraries (bouncycastle.org)? I've been
> using them for six months now and found them to be very high quality.

GNU Crypto is *not* a JCA/JCE implementation.  as is mentioned in its
home page:

"...(GNU Crypto) aims at providing free, versatile, high-quality, and
provably correct implementations of cryptographic primitives and tools
in the Java programming language for use by programmers and end-users."

beacuse it does not always follow the published interfaces of Sun, the
library includes a sub-package (gnu.crypto.jce.*) that contains Adapters
for allowing plugging the appropriate algorithms into a JCA/JCE
implementation as a Security Provider (GnuCrypto) --we ear-marked
BouncyCastle, Cryptix and JDK1.4 JCA/JCE publishers for future integration.

(currently there are only Adapters for the *built-in* hash, PRNG and
signature schemes.  Adapters for the javax.security interfaces and
classes will come later.)

cheers;
rsn