__CD / __CT / __FL naming collision?

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 21:57:00 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Adam" == Adam Megacz <gcj@lists.megacz.com> writes:

Adam> class org.foo.bar_.baz => __CD_org_foo_bar__baz
Adam> class org.foo.bar._baz => __CD_org_foo_bar__baz
Adam> is this bad?

You have to be careful when picking a mangling.  In the past the
demangler has crashed on some symbols we've generated; in fact I made
changes to gcj to work around this the second (or third?)  time it
happened.

Crashing the demangler is bad because among other things it means that
gdb will die on any executable which contains that symbol.  (Yes, it
is a bug in the demangler that it can ever crash.  Fixing it is
horrible though.)

I don't know enough about the overall mangling scheme to tell you a
guaranteed method to pick a safe name :-(