about non-compatible optimization (was: Re: patch to bring java vtables closer to g++ abi conformance)

Bryce McKinlay bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jan 29 13:02:00 GMT 2002

Per Bothner wrote:

> If we can't
> use that, we can always do have bar.foo make a plain call to
> bar.foo.alreadyinitialzed.  After all there are no variable-sized
> argument lists or structures passed by value in Java, so this is
> easy.  It might produce slightly confusing stack traces, but
> that can be fixed.

This could work nicely if we did static calls through our own static
method tables. I don't think there is any easy portable way to update
the PLT though, right?

It would also come at some cost in code size due to the extra symbols
for every static method.

For now I think simply moving initialization to the caller would improve
things a lot.

regards

Bryce.