gcj vs classpath merge status

Nic Ferrier nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 02:26:00 GMT 2002

Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> writes:

> The long-term goal is to have all the java.net code shared between
> libgcj and Classpath.  I haven't looked to see whether java.net is
> difficult to merge.

Yes it is. I thought about doing it at the time I wrote the original
GCJ socket timeout patch. I didn't do it because it was not clear how
to merge them.... issues of CNI vs JNI etc...

I think we can probably go some way to doing it, if the Classpath
people agree, I'll have a bash at it.

> If you're interested in merging any of java.net, that would be great.
> Our approach to merging has been to try to make sure that the merged
> class retains the best attributes of the two original classes.

Yep.

What I'm going to do (one of these days) is merge your protocol
handlers. Both are good in their own ways but don't quite get their on
their own.

Nic