GCJ slower than JDK?

Fernando Lozano fernando@lozano.eti.br
Mon Jan 28 18:06:00 GMT 2002

Hi Bryce,

>> Testing on a directory with about 3.000 jpg files and getting about
>> 76 duplicates, I found the program is three times slower when
>> compiled with gcj -O2 than when compiled and executed bu a Java SDK.
>
> If you'd like to post your small test program, we can take a look at
> it and see why it might be slower.

Thanks a lot. Its attached to this message. Please forgiveme my variable
names, I am not a native english speaker. :-)

>> Using gcj 2.96 and IBM Java SDK 1.3.0 under Red Hat Linux 7.1
>
> The latest CVS GCJ will probibly give significantly better results.

I've heard horror stories about upgrading the gcc, glibc or related
components from Red Hat. May I get just gcj sources and use them without
fear or should I look for newer rpms from redhat?

[]s, Fernando Lozano