New license wording

Bryce McKinlay bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jan 22 19:36:00 GMT 2002

Etienne M. Gagnon wrote:

>>Couldn't any gcj application be thought of as being "based on" the
>>libgcj library? How do we know precisely what the difference between
>>being "based on" and simply "using" the library is?
>>

>I'll try to answer this one.  "Based on" means that you included some
>of Classpath's source code ("as is" or modified ) in your application.
>The simple act of linking with a library is considered "using" the
>library.  Linking, here can be interpreted as "binary linking"
>(runtime) or even some form of compile-time linking like using
>Classpath as the class library for compiling your application to
>bytecode using Jikes.

But what about static linking? Being able to create a statically linked
binary which includes components of libgcj is, I thought, a very
important feature of this license.

>The terms used in the Classpath exception take their source in the GNU
>licenses "literature".  So, in the GNU LGPL preamble you can read:
>
>[... Pay close attention to the difference between a "work based on
>the library" and a "work that uses the library".  The former contains
>code derived from the library, whereas the latter must be combined
>with the library in order to run. ...]

The LGPL also says the following (the LGPL is not applicable here
because it is a completely different license, however the definition it
provides makes me nervous about the wording of our license):

[A "work based on the Library" means either the Library or any
derivative work under
copyright law: that is to say, a work containing the Library or a
portion of it, either verbatim or with modifications and/or translated
straightforwardly into another language. ]

This would imply to me that static linking is not allowed under the new
license, in which case I would argue for this change to be reverted or,
at least, for the "based on" bit to be changed or deleted.

regards

Bryce.