New license wording

Bryce McKinlay bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jan 22 16:38:00 GMT 2002

Mark Wielaard wrote:

>All license texts in Classpath and libgcj have now been updated
>with the clarification.

Thanks Mark. Though I'm happy that the license has been improved (and
happy that Etienne is now hopefully happy!), after re-reading it there
is one thing I am a little concerned about:

>"As a special exception, the copyright holders of this library give you
>permission to link this library with independent modules to produce an
>executable."
>
>"An independent module is a module which is not derived from
>or based on this library."

Couldn't any gcj application be thought of as being "based on" the
libgcj library? How do we know precisely what the difference between
being "based on" and simply "using" the library is?

regards

Bryce.