testsuite problems on darwin was: [patch] HAVE_LC_MESSAGES fornatSystem.cc

Andreas Tobler toa@pop.agri.ch
Sun Jan 20 23:41:00 GMT 2002

Stan Shebs wrote:

> > /usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _read
> > /usr/lib/libm.dylib(read.o) definition of _read
> > /Volumes/reserved1/gcctmp/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-apple-darwin5.2/3.1/../../../libgcjgc.a(os_dep.o)
> > definition of _read in section (__TEXT,__text)
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> In general the Darwin ld is going to object to multiple definitions
> of the same symbol layered on top of each other.  This is a Mac-ism
> brought over by popular insistence I'm told.  Usually I see it
> manifest as a warning rather than an error though...

So do I, usually.

> In any case, you'll have to get rid of that definition of read()
> in os_dep.o.  (Note that libm.dylib is a symlink to libSystem.dylib,
> which is Darwin equivalent of libc).

In other words, I have to get rid of the read() in boehm-gc/os_dep.c for darwin?.
A first look into it showed me it's quite complicated to understand.

I'll see what I can get out of it; understand it a bit.

Thanks for the comment.

Andreas