name of libgcj.jar

Matthias Klose doko@cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun Jan 20 14:03:00 GMT 2002

Tom Tromey writes:

> Matthias> Trying to install gcj-3.0 and gcj-HEAD under the same
> Matthias> prefix, libgcj.jar gets overwritten by the latter
> Matthias> installation. I assume, that the jar files are not
> Matthias> compatible between 3.0 and HEAD, so why not install it under
> Matthias> a different name (i.e. libgcj2.jar)?
>
> Is this really the only such conflict?  I'd be surprised if that were
> the case.  What about the programs in $(bindir)?  And the include
> files in $(prefix)/include?

To be more precise: installing the runtime for C++ compiled programs
needs the shared libraries only. A non-conflicting install of two
runtime environments is possible, because the file names of the shared
libraries differ (or are compatible). The java runtime environment
consists of the libgcj* libraries, libgcj.jar und gij. To conflict for
gij can be removed by renaming the executable, but the name of
libgcj.jar is hardcoded in the binaries. Yes, there are more conflicts
looking at the whole install, but this is the one needing a patch for
a non-conflicting install.

	Matthias