why I was seeing exceptions thrown across threads -- a detailed explanation

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 14:38:00 GMT 2002

Tom> version of) quickthreads, a cooperative thread package based on
Tom> setjmp (plus some small assembly hacks).

Adam> Interesting. If it was cooperatively multitasked, did you have
Adam> to hack GCC to insert a yield() after every instruction?

No.  Java doesn't require preemptive multithreading (and even if it
did, at the time we didn't care).  We task switched on mutex and
condition variable operations, and maybe a couple other places.
Anyway, the quickthreads code was never really complete anyway, which
is why there are only vestigial traces of it in today's libgcj.