Get rid of libtool? [was Re: Makefile problems]

Richard Henderson rth@redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 11:01:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:11:35PM +1300, Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> If we did that, what are the chances of hitting this 8k entry limit?

Dunno.  I'd have to check with a build without current binutils.

With current binutils we have available a number of relocs that
avoid the use of .got entries.  With that, for the entire libgcj,
we have

 25 .got          0000bad8  000000000084ca88  000000000084ca88  0083ca88  2**3
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, DATA

So 47k of the 64k available to a single object file is used.
I suspect that without the new binutils optimizations, we'd
be using in the neighborhood of 100k.

I guess depending on how you split up the build, you have a
decent shot at making it under the limit.

> Is there an easy way to get a count of the number of GOT entries
> used in a .o?

objdump -r foo.o | grep LITERAL | cut -f3- -d' ' | sort -u | wc -l

r~