Linux Magazine article

Jeff Sturm jsturm@one-point.com
Fri Feb 22 23:05:00 GMT 2002

On 22 Feb 2002, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I often think that gcj is the best undiscovered free software Java
> project.

It sure seems that way, doesn't it?  As I've read articles about the
newest language hype du jour, often dismissing Sun's Java for its
perceived shortcomings, I can't help thinking that gcj offers some of the
same capabilities: integration with C++, ahead-of-time compiling, etc.
But you had it first :)

I think gcj tends to be labeled as yet-another-free-java-implementation
without recognizing its unique strengths.

Also, the "Java community" is a funny lot: many have been complaining for
some time about Sun's licensing policies, community process, lack of
open reference implementations, etc.  A majority it seems have taken the
strategy of pressuring Sun to change their tactics, perhaps without
realizing they could take matters into their own hands somewhat by
embracing the free implementations.

I mostly stopped watching Sun a couple of years ago, though I still find
the Java language immensely useful for development.  We have no plans to
switch to anything else, and while we aren't yet using gcj exclusively it
remains a viable safety net if/when Sun evolves the Java platform into
something unsuitable for us.

I look forward to reading the article once it hits the local newsstands.

Jeff