DNS JNDI provider

Pete Chown Pete.Chown@skygate.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 05:59:00 GMT 2002

I've made a fair amount of progress on this and I should have
something that you can have a look at soon.  I have a couple of
questions, though, about code which is going into gcc:

1.  Sun's implementation of this provider uses a class which is under
    the com.sun hierarchy.  For example Sun's documentation talks
    about the java.naming.factory.initial property as follows:

    > This property is used to select the DNS service provider as the
    > initial context. It is not used by the provider itself. It
    > specifies the class name of the initial context factory for the
    > provider, and may be set as in the following example:
    >
    > env.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,
    >         "com.sun.jndi.dns.DnsContextFactory");

    I find this rather odd because I thought the idea was that com.sun
    packages were "private" rather than being part of the published
    Java API.  At present there are no com.sun packages in gcj CVS
    (unless I'm looking in the wrong place).  This would seem to fit
    with the idea that com.sun packages are private.

    The problem this creates is that to make my JNDI provider a
    drop-in replacement for Sun's I would need to put it under
    com.sun.  This seems like a bad idea for trademark reasons if
    nothing else.

2.  I've had a look at some of the documentation about submitting
    patches to gcc, and they indicate that I should provide test
    cases.  Of course this is a good thing.  However, what test cases
    would you like to see for a DNS component?  At the moment I have a
    test zone which I install.  It is not published on the Internet;
    rather it is just installed as "test." in the local named.conf.

    People are going to get annoyed, I imagine, if they run the gcc
    tests and get failures because they don't have this zone
    installed.  I could publish the zone on the Internet but then
    people might get failures because they are building gcc on a
    machine that isn't Internet connected.  Alternatively my
    nameserver might have gone down.

    Another snag is that at the moment I have the facilities to
    publish a zone but that may not always be the case.  Gcc will be
    around for a long time, and it would be annoying if it outlived my
    nameserver so again people started getting spurious test failures.

If anyone has any comments on either of these issues, please let me
know.

--
Pete