successful(?) build of libjava on mips-sgi-irix6.5

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 19:34:00 GMT 2002

Alexandre> If you have no idea of what I'm talking about, compare the
Alexandre> code in the mainline, that I wrote:
Alexandre> [ ... ]
Alexandre> with what's in the branch:

Does this mean the build will work ok on the trunk?
The trunk is really the focus of my concern these days.

Alexandre> Nothing that libtool could possibly do will make the second
Alexandre> @echo, with its huge argument list, executable as a single
Alexandre> shell command.  It has to be broken up in multiple pieces,
Alexandre> which is precisely what the foreach construct with multiple
Alexandre> shell commands does.  Unfortunately, it depends on GNU
Alexandre> make.

Last time I looked, removing the GNU make requirement seemed like a
pain.  I think it would be a bit easier if we moved to automake 1.5
(or the hopefully-soon-to-be-released 1.6).

This particular problem we could solve by having a `libgcj.sources'
file that listed all the .java files.  From this we could generate a
small Makefile fragment that we would `include' in Makefile.am.  I
think that would let us continue maintaining the file list in a single
place and also let us eliminate the magic in the libgcj.la rule.