Enhancement Request

Glenn Chambers gchamber@bright.net
Thu Dec 26 18:06:00 GMT 2002

On Thursday, December 26, 2002, at 01:00 PM, Jeff Sturm wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Glenn Chambers wrote:
>> Portable.NET is an implementation of C# and the associated runtime.
>> Its runtime requirements are strangely similar to Java's...
>
> I had a look at Portable .NET this week.  It appears they lifted
> boehm-gc
> and libffi straight from GCC sources.  Interestingly, boehm-gc is
> configured exactly as for libgcj, even with GC_GCJ_SUPPORT.
>
> So it shouldn't be difficult to configure both runtimes so that they
> can share the collector library.  I don't think installing gc.h really
> helps with that, however.

If the libffi and 'gcj/gc.h' files existed, I'd hack the configuration
of Portable.NET to use the installed files instead of its own, thus
ensuring consistency.  I do agree with Tom's previous comment that
installing 'gc.h' directly into <prefix>/include isn't entirely
appropriate.

>> I'm a transplant from Pittsburgh, and a University of Pittsburgh
>> alumnus.  But I work about four miles from the UT campus.
>
> I've moved back to Detroit since then.  Do you participate in TALUG?

I've thought about joining, but with two kids, one just turned 1 year
old, I don't have a lot of free time.  I went to a meeting once; seemed
to be a reasonably interesting bunch of people.  I should make an
effort to get to a few meetings; I'm job-hunting, and don't have a lot
of 'networking' connections.

Glenn Chambers
Toledo, OH