eclipse status (summary: it looks nice)

Anthony Green green@redhat.com
Mon Dec 23 17:19:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 16:58, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Very nice. I am using your extended patch now and don't get any out of
> memory issues anymore and it feels faster (since it is not trashing all
> the time). But I do get lockups now and then (mostly when trying to use
> the new project wizard). Do those happen to you?

I don't know about lockups, but I do see the monitorexit problem you
reported (when I add a new file to a project).   Perhaps this is a
problem with the hash synchronization code.  However, I fear that we'll
never be able to reproduce a small example.

> Part of this is caused by the fact that the
> VMClassLoader keeps tries to load new classes first by first trying to
> open the lib-sub-package-class.so files. But since there are no natively
> compiled classes it keeps falling back to the interpreter. We must cache
> the result of Runtime.(internal)loadLibrary() somewhere.

That's a good idea.  I also noticed that we create a lot of garbage when

> I had to do this also. The below is the text version of the installation
> part of http://www.klomp.org/mark/gij_eclipse/.

Ah, yes - I missed that.

> Step 4 is the disabling
> of the verifier. Is your version of Eclipse based on 2.0.2 or 2.1-M4?

2.0.1 (admittedly, I'm not using our latest development version)

AG