Report on GCJ as packaging tool for SWT applications

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Thu Dec 19 12:45:00 GMT 2002

> Øyvind> A minor issue: I couldn't find a way to turn off the warning
> Øyvind> below (-Wno-unreachable-bytecode did not work). ....
> Øyvind> org/eclipse/swt/graphics/ImageData.java:2378:
> warning: unreachable bytecode from 2061 to before 2064
>
> Yes.  I had a patch to add a flag to suppress this warning,
> but it was rejected.  I don't think any such flag will be forthcoming.

I've been playing with GCJ all day today and I miss the ability
to remove this warning. I get >100 warnings every time I compile.

Q: Was the objection to your patch an objection to the feature or the
implementation?

If it was an objection to the feature, I would urge whoever decides
these things to reconsider:

GCJ can be used as a packaging tool and these warnings
pop up when compiling 3rd party JARs(which otherwise work fine).
I have no intention of recompiling e.g. Apache Regex when it
works just fine the way it is, except for the warnings.

Øyvind