class initialization check overhead

Jeff Sturm jsturm@one-point.com
Sat Dec 14 10:47:00 GMT 2002

On 25 Nov 2002, Tom Tromey wrote:
> >>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com> writes:
>
> I finally read this patch:

I'm finally catching up to my inbox.  Keeping abreast of gcj and gcc is
difficult these days.

> Jeff> +  { { "java.lang.Object" }, { "<init>" }, init_builtin },
>
> This is really admirably sneaky and surprising.

Thanks.  That was part of an experimental patch I had sent to Adam.  It
occurred to me that your gcj builtins framework could be widely applied
to certain often-called routines in java.lang.  Other good candidates are
Object.getClass() and String.equals().

Automatic inlining of these methods isn't likely to happen anytime soon,
if ever.  Can you think of any reason this isn't a good idea?  If not, I
may propose a patch.

Jeff