Report on GCJ as packaging tool for SWT applications

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Fri Dec 13 10:55:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 18:38, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Øyvind> - I'm using java.util.prefs, this does not appear to
> Øyvind> be supported. My attempts to extract java.util.prefs
> Øyvind> from my JRE rt.jar failed miserably.
> Øyvind> - Ditto for java.util.regex
>
> java.util.prefs is in Classpath.  We could import it trivially.
> However, my impression is that it isn't finished, so I've been holding
> off on importing it.

Since I wrote that package for GNU Classpath I should comment on its
state. It was written on a vacation using the 1.4 beta specs on a laptop
that contained only jikes and kaffe. I never actually used the package
myself except for testing that the implementation worked.
The spec has changed slightly. See:
http://rainbow.netreach.net/~sballard/japi/htmlout/h-jdk14-classpath.html#pkg_java_util_prefs

It comes with a memory based backend as default which people have
reported to use successfully. The XML file based backend was not
completely finished/tested. Someone should look over it to make sure
that it produces valid XML.

Cheers,

Mark