GCJ 3.2 for Win32: Updated Snapshot

Ranjit Mathew rmathew@hotmail.com
Tue Dec 10 06:07:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

     I've updated the GCJ 3.2 Binaries for Win32 (MinGW) snapshot.
You can find the binaries under the "gcj" release in the "release
candidates" package of MinGW on SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/

or download the binaries directly as:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/gcj-3.2-20021210-1.tar.gz

IMPORTANT: If you have installed the previous snapshot, please
delete "libgcj*.*" from the "mingw32/lib" folder before
proceeding - the newer versions of these files are installed
into the "lib" folder instead.

Simply unzip the binaries into your existing MinGW installation
and it should work (I have *not* tested it with the recent GCC
3.2.1 MinGW binaries - only with the GCC 3.2 binaries.)

See my earlier message to the GCJ list for more details:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-10/msg00052.html

Please Note:

1. AWT/Swing still do not work (though SWT does!).
2. Exceptions still do not show backtraces.
3. The interpreter (gij) seems to ignore JAR/ZIP files in the
    CLASSPATH, leading to NoClassDefFoundError errors.

As for what has actually improved:
------------------------------- 8< ------------------------------
Changes to GCJ 3.2 for MinGW since the last release (2002-09-26):

2002-12-10  Ranjit Mathew <rmathew@hotmail.com>

     * Java Native Interface (JNI) works now.

     * Fixed bug that caused pesky stabs assembler warnings.

     * The jar tool extracts files in binary mode now.

     * Added system property "gnu.gcj.progname" that gives the name
     by which the program was invoked (similar to argv[0] in C).

     * Removed dependency on the Win32 GetFileAttributesEx( )
     function which is not present on Windows 95.

     * Rearranged code a bit in StringTokenizer to avoid GCJ
     argument evaluation order bug.

     * Migrated to WinSock 2.

     * gcj -C no longer gives errors if the target class file exists.

     * System.loadLibrary( ) works now.

     * gcjh now generates header files with the correct JNIEXPORT
     and JNICALL entries.

Sincerely Yours,
Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/