Stabs Errors Compiling Java Classes

Ranjit Mathew rmathew@hotmail.com
Tue Dec 3 10:25:00 GMT 2002

Tom Tromey wrote:
> Ranjit> 4. description - can be any *16-bit, unsigned value*.
> Ranjit>     (Used for storing line numbers when using GNU debug
> Ranjit>     extensions. Hence a limit of 65535 lines for the
> Ranjit>     source code if stabs debug info is to be used.)
>
> Ok, I think I can explain.  In gcj we keep track of both line and
> column numbers by packing them in to (I believe) a single 32-bit
> value.  Perhaps this is not being properly decoded before it is passed
> to the debug info generator.  That's an area I really know very little
> about.

The GCC "tree.h" header file defines EXPR_WFL_* macros that
encapsulate this behaviour - it would seem by looking at the
definition of these macros that line/col. info is packed
in a 20+12 bits packed format respectively, for Java.

However, in dbxout.c (dbxout_finish_symbol), I've had to
right shift the packed value *16-bits* to the right to get a
sane value! Some real SNAFU seems to be happening in there...

BTW, for method definitions, the line number seems to be the
line number of the *closing brace* for the function definition.
"Interesting".

In any case, I've managed to get rid of the assembler stabs
warning messages for now. :-|

Sincerely Yours,
Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew        Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com
Bangalore,