JAXP suggestions

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Dec 2 14:43:00 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Anthony" == Anthony Green <green@redhat.com> writes:

Anthony> 1. Keep org.xml and org.w3c up to date with the latest
Anthony> official JRE rev from Sun.  Sun's 1.4 spec is using JAXP 1.1.

This is in keeping with our general approach: we attempt compatibility
with the latest official release.

Anthony> 2. Add a mechanism to disable the use of libgcj's JAXP code.
Anthony> Xerces is tracking JAXP 1.2.  The most recent versions of
Anthony> Tomcat and Xalan depend on the latest Xerces implementations.

That's disappointing, partly due to xerces, partly Sun, and partly us,
since we don't yet follow the java spec here.

Anthony> 3. Keep using GNUJAXP, Xerces, etc as separate packages from libgcj
Anthony> (with the exception of the core JRE-tracking org.xml/w3c classes).

Anthony> I will do [1] and [2] if there are no objections.  I want to upgrade
Anthony> rhug's Xerces but this is getting in the way.

I saw your patch for this.  Like Per, I think we don't want to go this
route.

I like Per's proposal quite a bit.  Do you think you could implement
it?  With it we could split up libgcj into a few smaller chunks.  For
instance applet+awt could go in their own library.

Failing that, perhaps option [3] is our best bet for the time being.