RFC: NetworkInterfaces implementation

Michael Koch konqueror@gmx.de
Sat Aug 17 03:11:00 GMT 2002

Hello Tom,
Hello list,

New versions of the java.net.NetworkInterface files. More comments needed.

This files are not for commit right now. Changelog and configure.in.diff is
missing intentionally.

> We need some kind of configure wrapper for this code.  Basically, if
> we don't have this capability we ought to just use the default
> implementation of returning an empty vector.  (Unless throwing an
> exception is more appropriate -- what do you think?)

I think the current implementation meets to documentation here:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/net/NetworkInterface.html

> Should the code throw an exception if ioctl fails?
> I notice that if the ioctl fails then the file descriptor is never
> closed.  I think the code should be very defensive here and even make
> sure to catch any exceptions that might be thrown by the various
> library calls so that the cleanups will always be run.

I have reworked that a bit and I think its now JDK (1.4) conform.

> Do the various methods that check and modify networkInterfaces need to
> be synchronized?

What do you mean by this ? synchronized with other methods of
NetworkInterface or with other classes ?

> What is your paperwork status?  In order to accept a contribution of
> this size we'll need you to sign the legal papers.  If you don't have
> paperwork, tell me and I'll figure out how to get things started.

The paperwork is done. I got the double signed assignment back. I dont know
if there needs to be done more. Brian Youmans, the FSF copyright clerk, can
give you my status if you want.

I dont know how to get a CVS account. Perhaps one day I could need this when
you are tired of sending me patches to you for commit. ;-)

Greetings,
Michael