UTF-16 not supported?

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Fri Aug 16 10:43:00 GMT 2002

Tom> I think there are situations where the encoding/decoding
Tom> functions can mistake "lack of progress" for "I'm done".  I'm not
Tom> certain but it is possible that this code triggers that bug.

I did some debugging, and the above is is sort of what is going on.
The problem is that our workaround for a glibc 2.1.3 bug causes us to
fail in a different way when the buffer is too small.

I think it would be better for us to work out a way for this code to
work on systems that don't have the glibc bug, and let glibc 2.1.3
systems continue to fail one way or another.