GCJ 3.1: will generated code run on almost all versions of Windows?

Adam King aking@dreammechanics.com
Tue Apr 30 10:00:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 10:37:15AM +0100, Jocelyn Paine wrote:
> so using GCJ 3.1 to
> generate a single .exe file that can be installed and run without needing
> anything else seems ideal.

This is exactly the reason why my company is currently using the mingw port
of gcj.  We have 200k+ lines of java, 1000+ classes and 50k of C++ code
all compiling into a single exe.  It's great!

> I won't know in advance which Windows users will have: 95, 98, NT, 2000,
> XP or ME.

We've tested the generated exe under 98, 98SE, ME, NT4.0 and 2000.  It
works fine under all of them. We will test it with XP next week.

> I really be able to generate just one file, a .exe, and guarantee it will
> run on any of these?

I don't think it can be guaranteed, but it should work.  Our exe does
exercise almost the entire Java API and there have been very few bugs.
Those that I have found have been easy to fix.

	Adam