AWT Events

Shane Nay shane@minirl.com
Wed May 30 04:26:00 GMT 2001

Hello,
Okay, I've been working on integrating libgcj AWT with Pgui
(pgui.sourceforge.net), you can see the present status at:
www.minirl.com/pgui-libgcj.html .  Its really targetted at Embedded devices,
as Pgui is a embedded device GUI.  I've got most of the major drawing and
widget stuff taken care of, but now I'm working on integrating the event
core.  It's still in it's infancy in my opinion, while it appears quite far
ahead, there are really a lot of things to do.  (Notice the PGLayout stuff,
it's a heavy weight layout class, I need to swing back and get the
lightweight layouts working)

I really need to know how events are propagated in java AWT normally, like
are they bubble down, or bubble up.  When I get events from Pgui heavyweights
they come attached to the particular widget, so that would logically lead to
sending the event right to the widget.  However, I don't think this is the
"normal AWTy" way of doing things..., I think maybe you give it to the top,
and it bubbles down to the component.  What do you all think?, and would
short circuiting event propagation in the case of heavyweights break
applications?

Thank You,
Shane Nay.
(I am aware of the situation with the AWT and Richard Stallman's objections
on behalf of Transvirtual.  I am still making sure the project can be
integrated into libgcj at some point in terms of contributers, license, etc.)