gcj performance on Solaris 2.6

Van Nguyen nguyenv@cisco.com
Wed Jul 25 16:55:00 GMT 2001

Hello,

I followed the installation instructions for gcj 3.0.  Then run a few Java
benchmarks on gcj, and compared them to the results I got from using Sun
JDK 1.3.  gcj is considerably slower than JDK 1.3.   For example, running
Sieve on java 1.3 on Sieve, I got around 18600 iterations per 10 seconds.
gcj gave me 3200 iterations.

I used the Sieve program from ftp://gonzalez.cyberus.ca/pub/Linux/java/ ,
and UCSD benchmark from http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/wgg/JavaProf/Code/ .

Did anyone get better results from gcj on Solaris?  Is there any
build/compile options that I should use to speed it up?
Is gcj geared towards Linux because I saw a lot of great results from Linux?

Thanks,
Van