what is the state of awt in lingcj?

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Thu Jul 12 17:47:00 GMT 2001

Cedric Berger <cedric@wireless-networks.com> writes:

> And what about xlib peers?
> http://www.ii.uib.no/~rolfwr/jcnix/
> looks very cool!

Well, judging from that web-site, perhaps the xlib peers are
further along than the gtk peers ...

There are advantages in doing xlib peers (first):
* Less overhead.
* No LGPL licensing issues.
* Possibly less of a learning hurdle - don't need to understand
Gnome, only xlib, which is at least in principle simpler.
* More compatible with the Swing model, using light-weight components
where most of the code including look-and-feel are written in Java.
* Isolated from Gnome bugs and "impedance mismatch" and Gnome1
vs Gnome2 instability.
* Not dependent on Gnome libraries, which can be a pain to install
if they're not already installed.
* Plus Rolf seems to have gotten a lot done!

There are also advantages in concentrating on Gnome first:
* Higher level abstracting means lot of the work is already done.
Re-inventing the wheel is not my idea of fun.
* Better look-and-feel integration with Gnome.
* Changing Gnome themes changes Jawa themes.

On the whole it seems that going with xlib is worth pursuing.
Some things to keep in mind for (future) Gnome integration:
* Being able to embed Gnome widgets in Java windows, both with
and without Bonobo.
* Being able to have Gnome objects write on canvases created
by Java.
* Perhaps implementing Java2D using Pango and other Gnome libraries.
* If/when we get Java theming there should be a way to use Gnome
themes.  When running under Gnome, the default Java theme should
be the current Gnome theme.  Perhaps Ximian's "meta-theme" framework
can help.  Or perhaps we will need to use Gnome widgets in some form.

But there are problems for later.  If we can get a workable AWT
with most of the JDK1.1 functionality using the xlib peers (and
it looks good so far), I think we should concentrate on that first.

Rolf, any comments?  Do you have any recent work you haven't
checked in?  Is there anything we need besides what's in CVS
to try it out?
--
	--Per Bothner