what is the state of awt in lingcj?

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 16:16:00 GMT 2001

Per> What is the status of the awt and gtk code in libgcj?  Does
Per> someone have some examples of applications that run?  Do events
Per> work?

I think Bryce managed to get a window up at one point.

A lot of code exists.  I think most of the JDK 1.0 AWT exists
already.  How buggy it is we don't know, but I'd assume very buggy.

The various text Java widgets don't yet exist.
GridBagLayout hasn't been started.
A lot of the post-1.1 AWT code has not been written (there's a lot of
it, too).

The peers don't exist.  I think if we had working peers then we could
start debugging everything.  Bryce started some Gtk peers which use
CNI and which are derived from the JNI Classpath Gtk peers.  However,
there isn't much code there.

Per> Is anybody working on this code?

Not actively.  I check in some new code about every three months.
Last time was April, so I'm about due :-)