Java tools

Stuart Ballard sballard@netreach.com
Mon Jul 9 08:01:00 GMT 2001

Nic Ferrier wrote:

> I have proposed to Julian that a new GNU project be setup called:
> java-tools. We can put things like javadoc and jar-tool
> implementations under that project.
>
> Does anyone have any objections to that?

Sun might - they don't like people using the name "Java" for things.
(Just ask the guy who wrote "Java invaders", and also the
java.apache.org people).

I have no idea to what extent they have a legitimate claim here (they
certainly do own the trademark, but then they use the same trademark all
throughout their public APIs, which IANAL so I don't know what to make
of. I remember that Classpath even had to change it's subtitle to
"Essential libraries for the java platform" instead of "Essential
libraries for Java" in line with Sun's stated policy.

I like the idea, but I think a different name for it might be in
order... how about gtj in line with gcj?

Stuart.