Update soname

Bryce McKinlay bryce@albatross.co.nz
Wed Feb 21 01:02:00 GMT 2001

Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Much better IMO is what we do in glibc
>
>   libc-2.2.2.so
>   libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.2.so
>
> I.e., you clearly separate between package name (libc-2.2.2) and
> interface number (6).  The interface number can and will be different
> on different platforms/architectures which is not that problematic in
> this case since the package name remains the same.

This approach sounds good to me. For libgcj, we'd have something like:

libgcj.so.2 -> libgcj-3.0.0.so

Where the interface number (starting at "2" to differentiate from the redhat
release) gets bumped for each major release when incompatible ABI changes are
made, and the "3.0.0" tracks the actual package version.

Incidentally libstdc++ doesn't seem to be doing this kind of thing any more:

libstdc++.so -> libstdc++.so.3.0.0

I guess thats because they're confident in not making any more incompatible
changes?

regards

  [ bryce ]