Generic Java/ Assertion/ #ifdef DEBUG #endif

Bryce McKinlay bryce@albatross.co.nz
Mon Feb 19 16:59:00 GMT 2001

Yu Qian Zhou wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if any of these things will be supportted in gcj?

1. I have not yet seen the draft specification for generic types,
although it apparantly exists according to this URL:

http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/jsr/jsr_014_gener.html

(I see a familiar name on the "expert group", so I'm sure it is in good
hands ;-)

If and when generic types become part of the language specification,
then we will definatly want to support them. However, I suspect it may
require substantial re-engineering of the compiler in order to do so,
so don't hold your breath.

2. As far as I know, the assertions specification is still in draft
form. When it becomes part the language specification, or Sun releases
a javac that supports it, we will probibly add support for it.

3. No. (but you are free to use a preprocessor if you really want).

regards

  [ bryce ]