--encoding

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Tue Feb 6 13:24:00 GMT 2001

Right now if the locale's encoding isn't supported by iconv(), gcj
will bomb.

This is probably what we want.  However, it is also confusing to users
who don't understand what is going on.  See, for instance, PR 1840.

I think we'll probably get a lot of reports about this, as Solaris in
particular seems to support encodings in locales without supporting
those same encodings in iconv().

I think we should change the code in lex.c to print a more verbose
message.  Maybe something like this:

    unknown encoding: %s
    This might mean that your locale's encoding is not supported
    by your system's iconv() implementation.  If you aren't trying
    to use a particular encoding for your input file, try
    the `--encoding=UTF-8' option.

Comments?  Improved text suggestions?