GCC 3.0: "configure: error: libffi has not been ported to s390-linux-gnu."

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Sat Aug 11 13:42:00 GMT 2001

>> On Aug 11, 2001, Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> wrote:
>> Is libffi a prerequisite for gcj?  In other words would libgcj work
>> without libffi?

Alexandre> IIRC, yes, it would, but it wouldn't support the
Alexandre> interpreter or JNI.  But please don't take my word for it.
Alexandre> Hopefully someone in the java mailing list will know for
Alexandre> sure.

You can configure `--without-libffi' and it will be disabled.
When ffi is disabled, the interpreter, JNI, and reflection do not work.
If you know ffi won't work on a given host, you can set up the default
in libjava/configure.host.

Alexandre> It's quite likely that boehm-gc would also need porting
Alexandre> (unless it was already done), and perhaps even libjava
Alexandre> itself would need porting, so disabling libgcj entirely for
Alexandre> 3.0.1 is probably the best course of action.

libgcj probably will need porting.  It may work out of the box on
s390-linux, or it may not.  I haven't tried it.

There is a port of the GC for s/390.  However I don't recall offhand
whether that port is currently in our tree.  If it isn't then I am
sure it is in Hans' most recent GC, which we'll import as soon as
somebody has the time.