Java-related bootstrap failure on release branch

Gerald Pfeifer pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Apr 11 02:12:00 GMT 2001

On 9 Apr 2001, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
Jeff> Removing ${prefix}/lib/libgcj.so first may help.
> Apparently, it's a new sanity check of Sun ld in Solaris 8 that breaks
> perfectly valid link commands :-(
>
> It seems to verify that a library explicitly named in the command
> line, when searched in the given -L flags, would result in a different
> library being found.

Even more weird, I now performed extensive tests and the situation is
that

  sparc-sun-solaris2.6 builds
  sparc-sun-solaris2.8 builds if $prefix does contain a sparc-sun-solaris2.6
                              build
  sparc-sun-solaris2.8 fails  if $prefix does contain a sparc-sun-solaris2.8
                              build

Why the heck are libraries looked up in $prefix?!? (This was against most
current CVS sources.)

> Gerry, could you please test whether the same link command, with the
> additional flags `-L../boehm-gc/.libs -L../zlib/.libs -L./.libs'
> before any other -L flags, would succeed?

I tried, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. :-(

Gerald