libtool, java woes

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Tue Apr 10 18:27:00 GMT 2001

    Tom> We just want the exception handling code.  The compiler
    Tom> generates calls to this code without real user knowledge.  I
    Tom> see this as more akin to something like libgcc than, say,
    Tom> libc.

I agree.

This stuff used to be in libgcc, and I was never entirely convinced it
shouldn't *still* be there.  On the one hand, the new ABI gives us a
way of keeping front-end specific code separate from libgcc, which is
good; on the other hand, it makes this kind of sharing harder.

I still don't think you should link in libsupc++, though.  Instead, we
should package the EH code separately, as a shared object, or put it
back in libgcc.  (Having it in libgcc doesn't prevent using other
personality routines for outher languages.)

Linking in libsupc++ is dangerous -- and, from what you say, still
imposes an unncessary cost on Java programs.