libtool, java woes

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Apr 9 12:30:00 GMT 2001

>>>>> "Alexandre" == Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> writes:

>> We don't need or want libstdc++.

Alexandre> The problem is that we're duplicating some symbols.  This
Alexandre> works on ELF platforms, but not on AIX 4.x.  IIRC, AIX will
Alexandre> keep separate copies of the duplicate symbols at run-time.
Alexandre> Probably not a good idea.

Alexandre> We either need libsupc++ to be a shared library, that both
Alexandre> libstdc++ and libgcj depend on, or have libgcj depend on
Alexandre> libstdc++.

Obviously I'd prefer the former.  One approach would be to do this
only on AIX and whatever other platforms need it.  On ELF platforms we
can keep things the same (assuming that is what the C++ library folks
want).