Update soname

Bryce McKinlay bryce@albatross.co.nz
Thu Apr 5 22:40:00 GMT 2001

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> > How exactly we should handle the interface number on the trunk after
> > the release is still an open question.  One idea would be to update it
> > right away, and then update it again for the next release.
>
> The second step is probably not necessary.  IMHO, anyone using
> development snapshots should be aware of potential problems related
> with binary-compatibility issues.

We should bump it on the trunk as soon as incompatible changes start to be
made. That way, people can install a development snapshot in the same
--prefix as the release and not break programs that are built against the
release version.

I agree that we won't need to bump it again before the next (ie 3.1)
release.

regards

  [ bryce ]