Query about Help Needed

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 17:05:00 GMT 2001

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> writes:

Mark> A while ago I spoke to Richard Stallman about this and he
Mark> explained to me that the FSF didn't want to distribute an awt
Mark> implementation under the libgcj license since Kaffe already had
Mark> an GPLed version of java.awt and he didn't want to undermine the
Mark> Transvirtual business model by releasing a GPL+linking exception
Mark> version of the library.

Mark> Has anybody else talked about this issue with RMS?

I have.  When I talked to him about it, he refused to speculate about
what he would decide in the event that someone wrote a new AWT under a
libgcj-like license.