Should we build a superset of Java?

Cedric Berger cedric@wireless-networks.com
Wed Apr 4 14:36:00 GMT 2001

"Kevin A. Burton" wrote:

> It has bothered me for a long time that SUN hasn't opened up Java to a peer
> review process (no... the JCP does not count).  I have a number of small things
> I would like to see added to Java and GCJ seems like a great way to standardize.
>
> For example.  It would be nice if you could have nested Exceptions.  IE one
> Exception thrown because of another Exception.  This comes in really handy
> within factories and networked communications.
>
> [...]
> Then you would end up with nested Exceptions.  Java currently doesn't support
> this (except if you build it).  I think it is a logical extension but there is
> no way I am going to go through the JCP to get this added.

Well, Well, Well,

Maybee you should take a closer look at the "JCP" that does not count:
Especially JSR059 (JDK 1.4 specs), section 13 (Core Libraries), ID 4293532
I'm quoting:

    Support chaining of exceptions
    ID: 4293532 Group Driver
    When one level of an application catches an exception, it
    often wants to report a different "higher level" exception
    upwards, but it also wants to include the full state of the
    lower level exception.
    Some parts of J2SE already support this, e.g. the JDBC SQLException
    support chaining lower level exceptions.
    A generic hook should be added to java.lang.Exception to
    support chaining of all kinds of exceptions.

You can download this beautiful piece of specs from:

http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr059/index.html

Alternatively, you can wait JDK 1.4beta that should be available soon, hopefully.

Cedric