Query about Help Needed

Nic Ferrier nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 15:42:00 GMT 2001

>>> David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> 03-Apr-01 5:48:11 PM >>>

>I have a high quality GPL'd XML package (DOM2 +
>SAX2, validation) which has run with GCJ for about
>18 months now ...

Wow! I'd be really interested in seeing this! I could use it for
GNU-Paperclips web support!

>the OJE stuff isn't GPL'd, it just repackages some of
>the non-GPL'd packages.

The OJE stuff *is* LGPLed. Mostly what OJE does it create *free*
versions of javax stubs. This means that you can use them in GPLed
programs.

GPLed programs relying on Sun source code aren't really possible.
It's just that Sun don't sue.

>I'd be happy to assign it to FSF.

It's not necessary for the copyright on code to be assigned to the
FSF in order for the code to become part of the GNU project.

Would you be interested in contributing your code to the OJE project
when we're at GNU? (I've spoken to the lead of the project and he want
to go ahead with moving to GNU).

>If anyone's interested in helping to update that
>package, let me know. I don't have much time to
>contribute to that just now.  Writing a GPL'd
>JAXP (API)

OJE has one.

I'm happy to do the work to make your parser fit into JAXP (by using
OJE's JAXP lib).

Nic